The Military Support Group of Alachua
Since the start of the war, about a half dozen soldiers from North Central Florida have lost their lives in Iraq.
Community members say it's hitting home, and inspiring them to do more for our troops. So in the midst of despair, a light shines. A man who has absolutely no ties to the war in Iraq is making a difference for our soldiers. He has chosen to do it in a fun way.
Some soldiers come home safely, others never come home. But the fact remains, many are still fighting in Iraq. Many family members of the troops say they don't know what to do with themselves while their relatives are in Iraq. But in Alachua, there's a local support group.
"If you need help, or feel alone The Military Support Group of Alachua County is here."
Krueger says she's not from a military family, so being a member of this group has taught her a lot.
She says their main focus, is to raise money for care packages to send to local soldiers.
The money from today's fundraiser is going directly to this organization.
Organizers say these care packages make all the difference in the world to the soldiers that are away from home.
More than one hundred golfers came out today in support.
A member of the military who came to golf, says this kind of support is often overlooked. And for the soldiers who aren't this fortunate.
If you're interested in becoming a part of The Military Support Group of Alachua, they meet the first and third Thursday of every month at the First United Methodist Church in Alachua.
By Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News
- Military Support Group
- Shands Support Group Throws Prom for Heart Transplant Patient
- Citizens Come Out in Support of Alachua County Sheriff
- Alachua County Commissioners Support Evinston Historic Post Office
- Despite Reinstatement of Death Benefits, NCF Military Families Say Damage Has Been Done
- Military Police Company Will Be Deployed
- U.S. Military Prepares To Send More Personnel, Supplies To Haiti
- Soldiers Injured In Military Bus Crash
- Military Bus Crash injures 19 Guardsmen
- Making Strides For Military Families