Pavillion Dedication Memorializes Former Fire Chief Hope Powell
Hope Powell was the acting fire chief in Waldo, when an accident claimed her life last February, today friends and colleagues are paying tribute to her.
Gainesville Fire Rescue is resurrecting Powell's name and legacy onto a new pavillion. Now the gateway to the long-awaited "Safety City" bares her name for the legacy of community work she once did. Completing the site took the financial commitment of local organizations, especially the Kiwanis Club, who share her sense of service.
Deputy Chief, Tim Hayes says that the dedication is fitting, "... all the community projects that she did, bringing that spirit alive here in safety city, bringing our vision to reality making our vision a reality."
But it was the sweat, tears and the loving labor of her fellow firefighters that completed the construction.
By Stacey Samuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Former Fire Chief Under Fire
- Hawthorne's former Fire Chief accused of fraud.
- 25 years later, memories of Gainesville student murders remain
- Road Dedication In Memory of Corporal David Moss
- Vanguard High dedicates "Jim Haley Court" to former hoops coach
- Former Gator Larry Travis Remembered at Memorial Service
- High Springs: Missing Evidence Found in Former Police Chief's Car
- Former High Springs Police Chief Tied Up in Death Investigation
- Former Lake City Police Chief On Resignation
- No Charges For Former Waldo Police Chief