Gunshot Wake-Up Call
Diane and daughter Amy McCormick woke up when they heard the gunshots. It wasn't what they were ready to hear in their quiet apartment complex. The apartment upstairs was hit by shots four times.
"I was scared," says Diane. "I started shaking right away. I just didn't know what was going on"
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies say Shaun Johnson and Tina Bridges, both aged 23, pounded on the door of apartment 908 at the Paddock Club, a gated community off Fort Clarke Boulevard. Bridges says one of the resident's inside, Jelani Hampden, owed her $170 in back rent money. Detectives say when Hampden didn't come to the door, Johnson pulled out a gun and shot into Hampden's second floor bedroom about 2:30 A.M.
"They could have easily have gone into another apartment, a nearby apartment and injured someone else," says Sgt. Keith Faulk with the Alachua County Sheriff's Department. "Obviously, the 2 people going to the apartment were not thinking of the consequences at the time."
Hampden was able to tell deputies where the boyfriend and girlfriend lived together at the Southwest Villas apartments. Detectives made the arrest shortly after 6 A.M. on Tuesday.
"It doesn't make any sense at all to us, that you are willing to take someone's life for $170," says Faulk. "Now the two individuals are facing two serious felonies."
Amy McCormick says it was both weird and neat to see all the officers last night because she wants to be a corrections officer. But her mother isn't so sure.
"That's pretty scary that in a safe community like this, people use a firearm for the littlest reasons," says Diane McCormick.
Bridges and Johnson are being held on attempted home invasion charges. Johnson has a second felony charge for using the gun.
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV20 News
- SPECIAL REPORT: A Wake Up Call
- Wake Up Call
- Community Leaders Call for Peace in Wake of Racially-Charged Violence
- Gainesville Students Return While Staff Step Up In Wake of Newtown Tragedy
- Florida Could Soon Ban Internet Cafes in Wake of Scandal
- Police Deaths on the Rise in Wake of Lakeland Funeral
- P.K. Yonge Administrators Face Questions in Wake of Molestation 'Incident'
- Parents Re-examine School Safety in Wake of Conn. Shooting
- Psychologists Ask for an End to Funding Cuts in Wake of Conn. School Shooting
- Scam Calls Hitting 352 Numbers - Have You Gotten This Call?