Your kids could be coming face to face with a sex offender.
Deputies say sex offenders on probation are not allowed to decorate their homes, give out candy, or even have the front porch light on. But those not on probation, listed as "released" on the FDLE's Sex Offender Database, can decorate and hand out all the candy they want.
Deputies say parents should be extra careful.
"All of the people listed on the website were at one point not listed and not registered. So there are many many more people out there capable of very dark and devious acts," said Alachua County Sheriff's Detective Mike Powers.
Deputies highly encourage you to go with their kids trick or treating.
But before you head out you can log on to the Sex Offender Database through this link: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/homepage.do
Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Tracking Sex Offenders For Halloween Safety
- HALLOWEEN SAFETY
- First Annual Halloween Howler
- Be Cautious of Halloween Costume Contacts
- Local Halloween Sales are Booming
- Halloween 2009
- Halloween Stores "Popping Up" in Town
- Halloween on Main St. in Alachua
- Last Minute Halloween Destinations
- 10/22/12 Fitzness Minute: Make Halloween about Fun, not Food