Hatchet Creek Development Comes Before Gainesville City Commission
Residents of East Gainesville say it is something they've wanted for over two decades, but before the Hatchet Creek development becomes reality, it'll have to face-off with those who are against it on Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon at the city commission meetings.
The private developer who wants to build the community is asking the Gainesville City Commission to change a land use on the 498 acres that surround the Ironwood Golf Course so that he can build up to 1,500 mid-range homes for ages 55 and above, a 500-unit assisted living facility, and 200,000 square feet of commercial space.
While dozens of residents who live in the nearby Ironwood Golf Village have emailed commissioners in support of Hatchet Creek, representatives from the Gainesville Airport Authority and the Sierra Club are against it.
Executives from the airport authority say they worry that residents who move into the community will sue them because of noise, and the Sierra Club says the neighborhood will ruin the enviroment in the area.
Commissioners Rick Bryant, Scherwin Henry, and Ed Braddy have publicly said despite the concerns of those who are against the project, they are completely in favor of approving the land use change for Hatchet Creek.
Dozens of the residents who emailed the commissioners in recent weeks came out for the city commission meeting Monday night, and are expected to come back out Tuesday afternoon when the meeting continues.
By David Hamilton/WCJB TV 20 News
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- Turkey Creek Residents Take Biomass Noise Concerns to Alachua City Commission
- Hatchet Creek
- Warren Defeats Orlando by 127 Votes in Gainesville City Commission Runoff
- Changes to Gainesville City Commission Public Comments
- Gainesville City Commission Passes Annexation Ordinance
- Gainesville City Commission Considers Cheaper Alternative, TSM
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- Biomass Concerns Dominate Candidate Forum for Gainesville City Commission
- New Restrictions on Game Day Parking Passes Gainesville City Commission