8 people are dead in a murder/suicide in a home in Bell. 6 of the victims are children. Details at 11.
Veterans Day is only three days away, and one group of military veterans is setting off on its final mission. The D-Day Veterans Group of Alachua County is honoring the veterans from World War II.
An Alachua County woman, Frances Markham, stood at the dedication today, for her late husband of 56 years.
Glen Markham fought in World War II, and two weeks after they were married he left to fight the Korean War.
But Frances says there's a reason today's ceremony is extra special to her. Her husband Glen Markham, is responsible for the inscription on the back of the memorial.
Veteran advocates say they chose this particular spot for the memorial and flagpole mainly because it's a highly visible area and a great way to remember the veterans of World War II.
The Director of Alachua County Veterans services says "We cannot honor our 'greatest generation' enough. Roughly 17,000 veterans pass away every year, and in Alachua County alone, only 10 of the 50 veterans from last year are still with us.
Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News.
- Memorial Day Weekend Picnic
- Memorial Service Alachua County
- Mile-Long Memorial Honors Fallen Heros
- Memorial Day Tribute in Dixie County
- WWII Veteran to Visit Iwo Jima Memorial for First Time
- KKK Flyers In Bell Bring Back Memories Of Racism
- On Anniversary of Attack in Iraq, Wounded Soldier Recalls Memory and Starting Life Anew
- Celebrating Memorial Day In Palatka
- Law Enforcement Memorial
- 9/11 Memorial Service