Who is Okpara Nelson?
22 year old Okpara Nelson has been arrested for several misdemeanors in Alachua County. Back in 2003 he was charged with trespassing, then in 2005 he was charged with battery in Jacksonville.
He had a couple of narcotics charges and an alcohol violation in 2006 and several traffic citations.
"In terms of his actions in this case, there was not a flag that you would have seen to say this was a violent individual that is out on the streets that needs to be tracked," says Lt. Keith Kameg with Gainesville Police Dept.
Police say Nelson is not cooperating with them.
He faces one count of murder and his accomplice who turned himself into police late Sunday night faces one count of aggravated assault.
Nelson has his first appearance in court Thursday morning.
- Update: Second Day of Okpara Nelson Trial
- North Central Florida Remembers Nelson Mandela
- Senator Bill Nelson On Health Care
- Senator Bill Nelson Visits UF
- Senator Nelson Visits Gainesville VA, Learns of Two Veteran Deaths
- Senator Bill Nelson Tours Silver Springs
- Senator Bill Nelson Wants Florida's Foreclosure Aid Program Investigated
- Senator Bill Nelson Speaks at UF
- Nelson on Democrat Win
- Sen. Bill Nelson visits North Central Florida