Celebration of Life Lost Too Soon at Newberry High School
A second tragedy has brought the Newberry High school Community together once again in what they are calling a celebration of a life lost too soon.
"Jackie touched a lot of people," said one teacher at the podium before the large group in the auditorium, "because she was one of the kindest sweetest, funniest people you'd ever meet, she'd get a kick out of that phone ringing right now," she added as the room burst into laughter when a cell phone with a Fergie-ring tone went off.
Teachers, friends and family remembered the life of 16-year-old Jacklyn Wiencek --who died on Tuesday from the injuries sustained in last week's car accident. The spirit of the ceremony was more celebratory, her mother wanted her daughter's lively personality to be what she is remembered for most. "Y is for yelling," said Wiencek's mother, "anyone who knew jackie knew her loud voice and her big mouth..."
But she too was overcome by the permanence of the loss. "She wasn't only my daughter she was my very best friend," added Wiencek.
And the grief runs deep, as Weincek passed just days after her friend caitlin bailey died the day of their car accident, leaving many in the community asking why two promising lives had to be cut short.
"Some people's spirit flickers for a long time, while others burn very brightly for a short time," said one teacher. This week, friends raised $1500 for the family in her name.
Jackie --as she was affectionately known-- was as charitable in her spirit as she was beautiful. The teen who loved animals also competed in pageants and was honored for her compassion. Her best friend remembers their joint aspirations of making films, but now asks what he will do without her.
For all, today was about saying good-bye knowing that through laughter they will keep her memory alive.
- Celebrating Education: Newberry High School's Environmental Girls Make Global Impact
- Too Much, Too Soon
- Mud Bogging Event Comes Too Soon For Grieving Family
- Newberry's Monte Seabrook Wins High School Football Play of the Year Day 10!
- Newberry's Monte Seabrook Wins High School Play of the Year Day 2
- Newberry Schools on High Alert Monday
- A Walk to Remember for Newberry High School Grad
- Newberry High School athlete featured in Eastbay commercial
- Newberry High Grad Receives Graduation Surprise
- Newberry High Students Learn About the Dangers of the Road