A fifth grader is arrested
A ten year old girl was arrested for having a steak knife in school while she was eating her lunch.
The 5th grader was eating lunch at Sunrise Elementary school when a teacher reported her having a knife. The school then called the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Capt. Jimmy Pogue, " The school has a no tolerance for weapons policy on campus so the school called the sheriff's office because we weren't able to get ahold of the parents we decided to take her to the juvenile assessment center...we didn't handcuff her or treat her like a criminal in any way...what we did was take her to the assessment center where they have counselors have people who can do an accurate assessment of this little girl."
The school suspended the girl for ten days. Her father says this is especially hard for his daughter who loves to be at school.
By Sarah Pusateri WCJB TV 20 News
- Fifth Grader Absolved of Felony Charges
- Case of Medicaid Abuse and Fraud Unfolds With Fifth Arrest
- Fifth Case Of Eastern Equine Encephalitis In North Central Florida
- Fifth Case of Eastern Equine Encephalitis Reported in Marion County
- A Lost Treasure On Fifth Avenue
- Fifth Garders On the Move in Newberry
- Fifth Grade Graduate Overcomes Obstacles, Achieves Success
- Fifth Annual Five Dollar CPR Course
- Ninth Graders Algebra FCAT Scores Disappoint Across The State
- 6th Grader Wins Full Ride College Scholarship