Show of Support
Just six days before her 17th birthday, Bailey may have over-corrected a turn after veering off the side of Southwest 250th Street in Newberry leading to the single car accident that took Bailey's life Friday, according to Florida Highway Patrol Troopers.
Before attending a Panther soccer game, Tiffani Hester visited the Weincek family at Shands at University of Florida, where their daughter remained in critical condition Monday evening.
"There was standing room only in the hall," Hester recalled. "There were probably 40 kids just in the hallway waiting to get in to see the mom."
Nine additional counselors were at Newberry High School for students to talk about the accident, losing one of their classmates and standing by as another one clings to life.
"Just under two dozen kids spoke directly to the crisis counselors," Assistant Principal Kathy Atria estimated. "I know there was a lot of counseling going on with teachers within each individual classroom."
Also available to talk to students were Bailey's parents.
"They were here with their pastor at lunchtime and students were able to personally express their condolences," Atria said.
According to Troopers, the 16 year olds were following all the rules of the road when the accident occurred.
"Both the driver and the passenger were wearing their seat belts and as as result, their airbags deployed," Lt. Mike Burroughs said. "So they were using every type of protection they could use."
By Ted Latiak, WCJB TV20 News.
- Walking To Show Support
- Lake City Community Comes Together to Show Support for Cason Family
- New Poll Shows Support for Legalizing Marijuana
- Support for Legalizing Marijuana at All-Time High
- The University of Florida is Supporting the Search for Missing Student
- Governor Scott Visits UF in Support President Machen's Goal of Becoming Top 10 University
- Governor Scott Enlists Support from Board of Education
- Florida Senator Supports Special Funding for the University of Florida
- Military Support Group
- Positive Behavior Support in Levy County