Small Girl Gives Big-hearted Donation to Foster Children
Secret Santa's come in different shapes and sizes, but for some local children in foster care one of Santa's helpers is an 8-year-old child from Gilchrist county.
"I want them to have a good christmas," says Destinee Estes, shyly.
Department of Children and Families Investigator, Steve Lammprose met her at school today to let her know how far her donation is going.
"I want to let you know that we rolled up all your money and it came up to $188 dollars this year and there it is," said Lmprose. Her reaction, "wow."
Estes was surprised to learn just how much she'd saved this year. It'll buy a lot of presents, but they aren't for her, Destinee has given her savings so children in foster care will have gifts for Christmas.
So how did the third-grader from bell elementary school come up with the idea?
Destinee explains, "My mom she used to have foster kids before I was born, and she used to tell me about them ...and she told me that they didn't have that much ...and I just decided that I should donate money and toys to them."
A simple, self-less idea that took all year to make happen. But this isn't the first Christmas, Destinee has donated money from the jar, she says it sits in her kitchen all year, ...collecting more and more change each day. This is the third year she's done this.
"I believe she came up and brought $35 dollars that year. The next year she came back with over a hundred," says Lamprose.
Lamprose has come to know and appreciate Destinee's yearly donation. His church has decided to match her gift which means forty children will have something under the tree this year.
"There are young children that recognize this and there are older folks that don't," adds Lamprose.
but for Destinee she's just putting her faith to work, "...because I think it's the right thing to do and because the Bible tells you to share."
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Needs Donations for Kids
- Leadership Camp Gives Foster Kids Hope
- Event Raises Money for Foster Children
- DCF Reports Lower Numbers of Children Being Placed in Foster Care
- 11-Year-Old Helps Local Foster Children
- Small City Big Politics: Election Day in City of Alachua
- Thirteenth Street Walmart Moves Small Businesses Hope Big Chain Comes
- Father Leaves Three Small Children in Truck
- Prom and Wedding Showcase Gives Away Donated Dresses
- Ventricular Assist Device Gives New Hope To Patients With Heart Failure