Gainesville Chamber Orchestra
Friday, the orchestra celebrated their 25th Anniversary Concert.
Conductor Evans Haile joined the orchestra as music director in 2001.
He says the concert is a celebration of what the orchestra means to the community.
"Its easy in this town to lose your sense of culture because lets face it football basketball seems to take precedent, but the fact is the arts are what connect us to each other as a community and in terms of humanity," says Haile.
The orchestra got started back in 1983 when a group of local musicians met to form the orchestra.
That Fall they put on their first concert, presenting a 34 member ensemble which included professionals, amateurs and students.
Gainesville Chamber Orchestra has managed to survive while other orchestras in Florida haven't.
Haile says Miami doesn't have one, Jacksonville is on strike, and Orlando has had to close theirs twice, but here they plan on going on for much longer.
"Its going to be a wide variety of real performance of a party celebration of a very important milestone for this community as well as for this orchestra," says Haile
- Gainesville Chamber Orchestra Premieres Frozen
- Gainesville Orchestra Plays Disney For Kids
- Buy Local Gainesville Chamber of Commerce
- Chamber of Commerce aiming to bring more manufacturing jobs to Gainesville
- Statewide Wage Theft Bill Fails, Paving the Way for Alachua County's Ordinance
- Chamber of Commerce Push Toward a New Convention Center
- Fourth of July Celebrations in Lake City
- With Additional Hikes Looming, GRU Customers Discuss Energy Costs
- Archer Braid Trail, Officially Open To Public
- Sears Holdings Launches Center of Excellence