Incumbent City Commissioner Keeps Seat
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
Not counting absentee votes, Jack Donovan received 70% of all ballots in the District Three race. But two virtual unknowns combined to garner more than a thousand votes themselves.
It didn't take a fortune teller to know who was going to win the District Three race, even early on. But three was the magic number. With three years done, Jack Donovan has won three more on his city commissioner's seat.
"My opponents were very fine people, but not experienced," says Donovan. "I think in no small part this is a vote by the voters that wanted experience that we can measure and test."
But even Donovan was a little surpised by the 1100-plus voters who went against him. He thinks part of it is a backlash from the hotly debated transgender ordinance passed early Tuesday morning.
But he's already looking forward to his next three years. Among his objectives, he wants to work with the school board to develop better vocational and career opportunities for students not going to college. Plus, he wants to see the city build and develop more densely rather than take up more green space. And he wants county leaders to slow the accelerating expansion on the west side.
"In economic development areas, I want to see both more opportunities and more jobs that have a good career ladder," says Donovan.
Not counting absentee votes, Donovan is the overwhelming front runner with 2929 votes. Armando Grundy garnered 663 and Christopher Salazar placed third with 572 votes.
- Two Seats in Alachua City Race Reduced to One
- Debate Raise Tensions Over City Commission Seat
- Wisconsin Governor Keeps His Seat In Office
- City Commissioner Walks Through Archer Braid Trail
- City Commissioners Consider New Governance Structure for GRU
- Gainesville City Commissioners To Vote On Butler Plaza Annexation
- City Commissioner Rick Bryant Running For County Post
- New Gainesville City Commissioners
- City Commissioners Narrow List Of Fleet Management Sites
- Palatka City Commissioner Died