Potential School Zone Changes
If Kanapaha Middle School's Kendra Oo had it her way, deciding which children should attend what school would be a very simple decision.
"Kids should just go to the school or whichever magnet program they want to," Oo said. "If they zone us into a school, then we're never going to get to do what we want to do."
The decision is not that elementary for Boyd and school board members however. As part of his annual review, Boyd may consider rezoning Alachua County schools for the 2008-2009 school year, but that idea is not sitting well with parents.
"If the current zoning takes place, we'll have two kids at one high school and one at another, which puts a very big burden on our family," Dan Wilde of Haile Plantation said
The superintendent held public forum to get input from hundreds of parents. The school board currently does not have a plan, but members are trying to avoid problems next year when new rules on classroom sizes kick-in; their decision could force students to be bused to other schools in order to meet a 25 students per class requirement.
"We may consider moving to another area where she might be zoned for Buchholz depending on how the schools fare grade-wise, Gainesville High School and Eastside, in the upcoming year," Donna-Jo Toney said.
Many parents mentioned the idea of building a new high school, but this requires state approval, which is impossible to receive until all three high schools in the county are assessed as "overcrowded." Anyway, according to Oo, for students, who they go to school with is what counts, not FCAT grades or busing.
"I don't know what I'd do without my friends. That's how I get through school."
By Ted Latiak, WCJB TV20 News.
- UF Students Will Vote on Potential Name Change for the Reitz Union
- Potential Changes To How You Cast Your Ballot
- Local Business Owners Sound Off on Looming Zoning Changes
- New Owners of Former McGurn YMCA Ask City for Zoning Changes
- Potential Merger of Metcalfe and Rawlings Elementary Schools
- School Zones Reopen in North Central Florida
- School Zone Misspelling
- School Re-Zoning
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- Committee is Proposing Changes to Alachua County's School Dress Code