Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Transgender Ordinance Passes
Commissioners voted four to three.
The ordinance is mostly addressing housing and employment discrimination, but the part of the ordinance that created much controversy; allowing transgender people to use whichever restroom they wanted in public settings.
Now business owners are left with a lot of questions that really are not being answered.
"I thought this ordinance was poorly drawn up I thought it was way too vague and i don't think public policy is served well when you write those kind of laws," says Gainesville City Commissioner Rick Bryant.
"The Ordinance provides needed protection for a group of people who are highly discriminated against," says Gainesville City Commissioner Craig Lowe
Commissioner Bryant says he thinks laws like this complicate the City and feels the issue should be re-visited to clarify the new ordinance.
- Deadline For Petitioners Fighting Transgender Ordinance
- Transgender Ordinance Debate
- Charter Amendment Including Transgender Ordinance Moves Forward
- City Commission Approves Transgender Ordinance
- Underage Drinking Ordinance Passes
- Gainesville City Commission Passes Annexation Ordinance
- Transgender Training
- Statewide Wage Theft Bill Fails, Paving the Way for Alachua County's Ordinance
- E-Cigarette Ordinance in Marion County
- Underage Drinking Ordinance Meets Resistance