BREAKING NEWS: AAFL TO POSTPONE SEASON
A league conference call is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, where team presidents will learn if the AAFL will postpone play until a later date or simply terminate the league.
Sources close to Team Florida, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it might compromise their relationship with team players and coaches, said the League is facing financial trouble, with tens of millions of dollars already spent on the project. One source said ticket sales, which were seen as a major source of income, have been much lower than anticipated.
Sources said workman's compensation has also been an issue. Insurance would cost more than $10 million, and one source said players were asked to sign a contract stipulating a player's salary would be cut in half if injured.
Team Florida President Wayne McDaniel told TV20 Wednesday he thought everything was still going according to plan. "Anything that serious should come from league headquarters," McDaniel said when asked about the situation.
AAFL Comissioner Keenan Davis would not confirm or deny the nature of Thursday's conference call to TV20, asking to make information requests through Risa Balayem, Senior Director of Communications for the AAFL.
Calls placed to Balayem were not immediately returned.
Chris Price WCJB TV20 Sports
- Breaking News: Current & Former Gators Arrested
- Breaking News: Unauthorized Plane Lands in Gainesville
- BREAKING NEWS: Mass Shooting in Bell
- Breaking News: Bombing Suspect Moved
- Future of the AAFL in Question
- State Postpones Execution of FHP Killer
- Casey Anthony Bankruptcy Hearing Postponed
- Ernest Wallace Hearing Postponed
- Fleet Management Garage Decision Postponed
- Toliver Sentencing Postponed