Palatka Police Officer Shot
At approximately 8:00 pm Palatka Police Corporal Pete Ruiz stopped a suspected drunk driver on US 17 just south of Carter Road.
Police say, when Corporal Ruiz approached the driver's door the driver, 39 years old Paul D. Savage, shot him one time in the left shoulder. They say Savage exited the vehicle and continued to shoot at the Officer. Ruiz returned fire, and Savage got back in his vehicle and fled the scene, northbound on US 17.
Another Palatka Police Officer, who was arriving as the shooting was in progress, began chasing the suspect. After a short chase, the suspect was stopped in the area of West River Road and US 17, approximately 5 miles from the original scene. Savage fled into the woods, but was apprehended by Palatka Police Officers and Putnam County Sheriff's Office Deputies, with the aid of a Palatka Police Department K-9.
Corporal Ruiz was flown to Shands Hospital in Gainesville for treatment of his injury. He is currently in stable condition.
Savage was taken to Putnam Community Hospital for treatment of injuries he received from the K-9 and is currently being booked into the Putnam County Jail by Putnam County Detectives.
- Teen Shot and Killed in Palatka
- Police Say Shooting Victim Fired Shots Into Crowd
- 16-Year-Old Shot and Killed at His Home in Palatka
- Police looking for 2 men involved in Palatka home invasion
- Palatka police turn to the community
- Palatka police to record all calls for service
- Columbia County Inmates Shot by Gunman
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Archer Man Shot Woman After She Kicked Down His Front Door
- ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse