State Legislature Seeks to Strip BOG of Powers
A fight for control over who will oversee the university and college system in the state is brewing.
On the first day of session, the Board of Governors, (BOG) which is responsible for overseeing the university system say lawmakers blind-sided them with a new bill proposal.
Lawmakers are proposing to strip the Board of Governors of its powers and the vote is just days away. Many on the Board were shocked to hear the news, as well as university presidents, who've had no input.
BOG Chairwoman Carolyn Roberts, says the body is scrambling to interpret the bill that will create an elected Commissioner of Education to supervise the public education system. Now the BOG is calling for more time to review the proposal.
"I hope that you join me in opposing this resolution while we're trying to survive a difficult budget year," says Roberts.
Lawmakers will vote on the bill Friday at 2 PM.
- Mud Bogging Event Comes Too Soon For Grieving Family
- Father Abandons Baby at Strip Club
- Florida Power and Light Co. Rates Increase
- Power of Tuition
- Repairs to Deadly Strip of I-75
- Florida Legislature May Not End on Time
- Legislature Increases Offenses on Video Voyeurism
- Bondi Battling with Legislature Over Settlement
- Legislature Appeals Florida Redistricting Ruling
- Legislature Changes Proposed Teacher Pay Raise