The Albedo Experiment is designed to increase awareness of how polar ice caps help regulate the Earth's climate. Students of all ages, from all over the world are creating "mock polor ice caps" using a variety of white materials.
Today, students from Cornerstone Middle School painted their part of a project that will be seen around the world. They painted a large, white dot on the football field which they plan on turning into a dove. Tomorrow, the students will gather in the painted area, and hold up reflective posterboard so that at a quarter to noon and a quarter after, satellites can fly over the area and take pictures. which will then be studied.
The center of this project is a big, white dot meant to represent a polar ice cap.
"The purpose of the experiment is to detect from space a white dot on a dark background in this case a football field and compare that to other white dots around the world... Just to show the reflectivity and so as they change...then the earth's climate may change..."
There are only 21 science centers across the world that are involved in this experiment. This lesson on global warming comes with a once in a lifetime opportunity.
"There will be opportunities...for people to be out there essentially looking up into space hopefully to be able to be a part of history."
The Discovery Science and Outdoor Center, which is located off of Lake Weir Avenue in Southeast Ocala, is welcoming anyone who would like to be a part of this project to stop by between the hours of 11 and 1 tomorrow.
- Area Children Experience Christmas Early at Church Luncheon
- Firefighters share Hurricane Experience
- Hiroshima, Nagasaki Survivors Share Experiences At Symposium
- Spacesuit flooding problem makes repairs to ISS cooling system risky, endangering experiments
- Gators Offensive Line Heads Into 2013 with Veteran Experience
- Gators Tyler Murphy Getting Valuable Experience
- Gator Hoops Counting On Experience To Help In Tourney
- O'Sullivan Embraces Learning Experience in Omaha
- Florida Track and Field Team Experiences Scary Plane Ride Home
- Medical Spotlight: Great American Smoke Out