Community Comes Together To Support Rape Victim
A week after a female jogger was violently attacked and sexually assaulted, her community came together for two 5K walks to show their support.
Hundreds of people came out Wednesday morning to walk through Haile Plantation to show their support for the 36-year-old woman.
Event organizers sold t-shirts before both walks that read "Courage is Resistence To Fear", and all of the proceeds will pay for the victim's medical care and other expenses.
Over 250 people showed up to walk through Haile Plantation at 6:30 Wednesday morning, and nearly just as many people came out for the second walk at 9 a.m.
Last Wednesday morning, the female was attacked and raped while jogging through the paths that weave through the community.
While authorities continue to search for the suspect, the victim is recovering at her home.
Many of the walkers who came out Wednesday morning say they hope the walk symbolizes their dedication and support for the victim as she heals.
"When this happened, it really scared me that it could have been me. It was an occasion to show my support for someone who is about the same age as my daughter," said participant Nazanin Azarnia.
A town-hall meeting will be held Wednesday evening at Kanapaha Middle School where detectives will update citizens on the progress of their investigation, and will provide safety tips as well.
Authorities say they have had dozens of tips come in, and they say they are following each lead they get.
After all of the victims bills are paid, if there is any left over money from Wednesday's walk, they say it will donated to the rape crisis center to help other victims.
By David Hamilton/WCJB TV 20 News
- Lake City Community Comes Together to Show Support for Cason Family
- Community comes together to help after devastating fire
- Team Lundy Bands Together to Support Family of Injured Deputy
- Young Heart Disease and Transplant Survivors Come Together at Picnic
- After 6 Years, Downtown Alachua's Restoration is Coming Together
- Religious Groups Come Together After Deadly Afghanistan Protests
- Heart Walk In Ocala Brings Community Together
- Zucchini festival brings community closer together
- Community rallies together after thief steals Christmas presents
- Rape Victim Says Rapists Should Not Have Custody Rights