Jury Selection Begins on Murder Trial of Michelle Herndon
Law enforcement and the state attorney say, 24-year-old Herndon was not heard from over the course of two days --the last person said to see her was O'Quinn. For the next week he will stand trial for her murder.
Jury selection began today and foremost on the minds of attorneys: the media. As Assistant State Attorney James Colaw addressed the potential jurors --it is their ability to separate expectations set from watching popular cop shows-- that set the stage for jury selection today.
Colaw said as he addressed the pool, "The t.v. shows, legal shows that are out there the CSI's, the Law and Orders..."
And O'Quinn's court-appointed attorney Drew McGill echoed the same concern even asking whether jurors had watched TV20's reports, hoping that media coverage would not taint their view of his client charged with first-degree murder.
McGill said,"Unlike the t.v. shows where you watched it happen, evidenciary knowledge tells you whether or not he did it..."
In November, 2005 the bright future -friends and family say- the UF student once was cut short. O'Quinn --a relatively new friend-- was a nurse at Shand's hospital. He allegedly injected Herndon with a lethal dose the anesthesia, propofol.
More than two years later family and friends continue to wait for justice, her aunt Coleene Scott, sat quietly in court, as she's done for every hearing. Victim advocate and family friend, Shirley Davis explains what today means for all close to Herndon, "It's just the beginning of an end for them."
Bringing O'Quinn into court was no simple processs as details in the trial will come out over the next few days, O'Quinn fled the country days after Herndon's murder and was finally extradited from Africa.
We will bring you more details as the trial goes on.
- First Day Of Trial in Murder of UF Student Michelle Herndon
- Zimmerman Trial: Jury Selection Begins
- Jury Selection Begins In Sandusky Trial
- Jury Selection in Hudson Family Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Continues In Murder Trial
- Zimmerman Trial Day 9: The Jury is Selected
- Jury Selection Continues in Ramgoolie Trial
- Maranda Martin Sits Before a Jury on Day One of Murder Trial
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 2 of Jury Selection
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 3 of Jury Selection