More than 80 headstones at a cemetary were found knocked over, broken and destroyed.
When groundskeeper Christina Davis came to work on Thursday morning at Woodlawn Cemetary, she was shocked to see what awaited her.
"A family member came and he was like really upset," said Davis. "He was like oh my God all the markers were thrown down, and he was asking us what to do."
"The statues were solid marble, solid granite," said Sgt. Angy Scroble with the Ocala Police Department. "Now, they are chipped destroyed and the damage at the low estimate is 30 thousand."
Some of the stones were desecrated with graffiti, and broken beer bottles were smashed all over the ground.
Police say they do know it happened during the night, and the damage was spread throughout the cemetary.
"It was a lot of damage," said Scroble. "I don't know honestly who it was or how many there were, but we do want any information that can lead us to who did it."
Meanwhile, Christina Davis is doing what she can to clean up the mess left behind.
- Cemetery Vandalism
- Deputies search for cemetery vandals
- Vandalism in Keystone Heights Cemetery
- The Next Generation at High Springs Cemetery
- Two men arrested in cemetery desecration
- Unexplained fire at cemetery, residents want city to clean it up
- Residents Fight to Preserve Evergreen Cemetery
- LaCrosse Church Vandalized
- Business in Ocala Vandalized
- Teens Arrested for Vandalizing Lake Weir Middle School