County Commissioners Discuss Half Cent Sales Tax Increase
Today, the County Commissioners along with the Chamber of Commerce and the trust for public land discussed the prospect of a half cent sales tax increase initiative on the November ballot.
If the measure is passed, the extra funds will be used for constructing recreation facilities and buying environmentally sensitive land. Commissioner Rodney Long says the msot important issue that will be discussed at today's meeting is not whether the measure will make it to the ballot, but how long the proposed measure will last.
"If you do a two year levy, that means you have to come back and ask the voters to reauthorize either for conservation and acts of recreation or for any other new measures. So we don't know what the actual length of the levy is going to be," said Long.
This meeting is a follow up of a meeting that took place two weeks ago in which results from a study conducted by the Chamber of Commerce were revealed and showed that most county residents would support the sales tax increase.
StayÂ tuned to WCJB for the latest updates. Â
- Alachua County Half Cent Sales Tax Expires
- Alachua County Commissioners Approve Gas Tax Increase
- Alachua County Commissioners Formally Discuss Plans for New Biomass Plant
- Alachua County Commissioners Discuss Pole Barn Replacement Options
- Alachua County Commissioners voted to raise taxes. But will residents actually pay less?
- Area Home Sales Decline, State Sales Increase
- Internet Sales Tax Takes Step Forward
- SALES TAX
- Sales Tax Holiday Bill Heads to House Floor
- No Hurricane Sales Tax Holiday