FCAT Camp Designed To Make Learning Fun
It's just another day in a special camp designed to help kids do better on the FCAT test.
Several dozens eager campers are on the case. Using microscopes to get a good look at the evidence, creating polymers to make imprints, and testing samples in test tubes.
"I thought it was going to be sit down and work, but it's really fun, I think everybody should come here," said Priyanka Patel, a 6th grader.
It's not just about making science fun. The hidden purpose is developing critical thinking skills.
"So when they walk into the FCAT, and they sit down and they start reading the question, you have to think outside the box," said Debbie Guice, FCAT camp teacher. "You have to open your eyes."
And whether it's timed dictionary drills or reinforcing multiplication tables through rapping about football, it's learning for about 160 students of all ages that is nothing like traditional school. And Bernice Presley, the program developer, says after three years of funding by the Florida Education Fund, the idea is paying off.
"Students have been sharing their FCAT scores with us, and oh we are so proud," said Presley. "We are so proud of their performances"
And so the work goes on, and the learning continues as the search narrows for the thief.
"I've learned a lot of stuff and it's really going to help me in school in the fall," said Tony Anderson, 7th grader.
Especially when it comes to unlocking the mystery of the taking the FCAT.
- Fun F-CAT Camp?
- Williston Families Learn about Local Health Services at Health and Fun Fair
- Mike Peterson Giving Back: Football Camp and Family Fun Day
- Hometown Shoe Designer Makes a Name for Herself
- 10/22/12 Fitzness Minute: Make Halloween about Fun, not Food
- Rural County Makes Big Gains on This Year's F-CAT Scores
- Gainesville Elementary School Makes a Learning Opportunity of the Presidential Election
- New Markers Make it Easier to Find Residents in Gainesville Homeless Camp
- Ideas From the Design Diva for Dads and Teachers
- Design Diva's Ideas for Weddings and Baby Showers