But its hard to sell condominiums when the market is saturated with more than 1,000 available right now in Alachua County.
"We have a lot of inventory on the market and not a lot of buyers," Realtor Laurette Fogg said.
That's not the best news for anyone who wants to sell a condo anytime soon.
So, lately, Fogg has found herself encouraging some of her sellers--those who really need to move fast--to consider renting their property until the market picks up again.
"If it looks like you're not going to sell, and you're moving in two to three weeks, then perhaps we should find a tenant to absorb some of your costs," Fogg said.
Individual sellers aren't the only ones turning to renting. A new building planned for Downtown Gainesville--right across from market street pub, on Second Street and Southwest First Avenue was originally pitched to the city commission as a condo building. But selling the units starting at more than $660,000 a piece didn't take off as planned.
That's why the developer of Gainesville Greens has asked for a six-month extension from the city and a change in plans.
"The developer has asked for us to allow for the building to start out as rental," said Scherwin Henry, Gainesville City Commissioner.
Henry says the commission will explore several options tonight at a special meeting, following a presentation from the developer. One of the options to be considered -- scratch the project altogether.
"I don't know about my fellow commissioners, but personally I prefer condo rather than rental," Henry said.
The commission is expected to vote on the developer's request tonight.
- Gainesville's Environmental Film and Arts Festival Focuses on Becoming More "Green"
- Grafitti in Northwest Gainesville- What's the Green Mean?
- Gainesville Resident Invents Green Technology
- Build Green To Save Green
- Going Green to Save some Green
- Growing Green To Save Green
- Can Going Green Save You Some Green?
- Going Green, Saving Green?
- Greening The Gator Nation And Extending Service
- Union County's Geordyn Green Wins High School Football Play of the Year Day 7!