Thousands of people are on the waiting list, but there are some things you can do now to prepare.
Ken Walton knows what it takes to keep a house safe from a storm. Walton inspects homes for My Safe Florida Home. The program is overseen by Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink. Sink says the goal is to save homes and money.
"You may be sitting on a gold mine in the form of a discount from your insurance company," said Sink.
The program offers free wind inspections. The report is sent to the homeownerâ€™s insurer. If the house is above par the homeownerâ€™s insurance premium is lowered.
The programs call center is flooded with 2,000 Floridians requesting inspections everyday. The Govettâ€™s got through. The couple built their home in the 60â€™s.
"We just tried to build a house thatâ€™s going to last," said Frank Govett.
Walton inspects the Govettâ€™s home. He wants to know if the house is reasonably flood proof.
"Anything a home owner can do to keep that water from getting in the home that is a big issue," said Walton. "And the best way to keep water out is to keep the roof on."
Inspecting homes isnâ€™t an easy job. But there are a few steps, you can take to make the job a little easier. For example, if youâ€™ll take 2 X 4â€™s and attach them to the attic floor and then to the end gable wall it will decrease the chances the wall will blow out in the event of a hurricane. Installing hurricane proof windows and doors can also protect your home and lower your insurance premium
The wait time for a home inspection is about three weeks. 70 percent of homeowners who get an inspection save at least $200 on their wind insurance premiums.
- Ready For Hurricane Season? Inspect Your Trees.
- Food Inspections
- Firework Vendor Inspections
- Calico Jack's Restaurant Closed After Failing Inspection
- New Law On Restaurant Inspection Checks
- Deadline for Extreme Home Makeover: Home Edition
- Home Away From Home; Thanksgiving at the Ronald McDonald House
- Home Invader Shot to Death After Forcing Way into Ex-Girlfriend's Home
- Ocala Home Hit by Home-Made Acid Bomb
- Extreme Home Makeover: Tear Down That Home!