Alachua County's 2009 Budget
The total budget: an eye-popping 330 million dollars.
The highlights from the proposed budget include no raises for county employees this year, three new "green" government buildings, and 1 million dollars dedicated to reducing the county jail population. Even still, most of the discussion revolved around how the sheriff's office plans to take care of their deficit.
The law enforcement MSTU has a more than $800,000 deficit on their hands. In the proposed budget, the County Manager suggested three ways the Sheriff's Office could take care of the problem.
"Option 2 was to adjust the ratio on the mstu versus the general fund," said Alacua County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy David Huckstep, "right now its 70/30 and we're gonna ask for a 50/50."
To clarify: 30 percent of law enforcement services are currently paid for by the general fund with the other 70 percent coming from the law enforcement MSTU. If the sheriff's office gets their way, it will be a 50-50 split.
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Gainesville/Alachua County's 10-Year plan to end homelessness- Part 2
- Alachua County's water quality tour
- County commissiners reduce sheriff's budget
- Alachua County's 'Foster Grandparents' On Hold Due to Government Shutdown
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Statewide Wage Theft Bill Fails, Paving the Way for Alachua County's Ordinance
- Committee is Proposing Changes to Alachua County's School Dress Code
- Alachua County's Teacher of the Year
- Union County's Geordyn Green Wins High School Football Play of the Year Day 7!