Death toll adjusted down to 24 in Moore, OK by medical examiner; warns it will go up.
City Leaders Tackle Affirmative Action Goals
According to recently released statistics, the city isn't hiring enough women and minorities in target job fields. And that concerns City Commissioner Jack Donovan.
"I'm pleased with our efforts and I'm not totally uncomfortable with the outcomes if the market is such that people are getting good jobs elsewhere," said Donovan. "That's good. But, the market isn't really that way."
The recently released numbers show that in the first and second quarter of the year, in targeted job fields, the city is hiring women and minorities less than 25 percent of the time. City Manager Russ Blackburn sees that as progress, but says there's still work to be done
"Not a lot of young girls dream about being a motor grader operator," said Blackburn. "At the same time, it's a good job, anybody can do it, and we need to make sure that people know that so that they'll consider applying for those positions."
Another area where the city is really struggling to hire women and minorities are in some of the technical, skill-specific jobs at GRU, so he suggests the city work closer with high schools and Santa Fe College to specifically prepare people for those types of jobs.
"Maybe the city needs to start talking with the people who are doing that training more, and say this is what we're looking for," said Blackburn. "This is what would really help the students get prepared."
City leaders hope suggestions like this will lead to better results next quarter and in years to come.
- Gainesville Reaching Affirmative Action Hiring Goals?
- Gainesville City Leaders Discuss Ownership of Possible Bio-Mass Power Plant
- City Leader Disagrees with how Federal Agents Handled Taylor Bean
- Gainesville City Leaders Debate Implementing Fire Assessment Fees
- Alachua & Newberry City Leaders Ask for Bed Tax Dollars
- With New Fiscal Year Approaching, City Leaders are Working to Budget Biomass Plant
- City and County Leaders Need Public Input
- Business Reaction to City Leader Meeting
- Conversation with City Leaders
- Tackle Box Closing