Columbia County Schools Superintendent Race
Current Columbia County Superintendent Sam Markham is running for a second 4-year term, after 48 years of working in the county schools. He says he's apologized for his mistakes and says the good outweighs the bad. He's most proud that 10 of the 12 county schools now have an A or B grade.
"And, I believe that if the people of Columbia County give Sam Markham an opportunity, and look at the results, I mean, you don't have to gamble, just look at the results of student achievement," said Markham. "I've proved I can balance the budget in both the good times and the bad."
Mike Millikin resigned this spring as Assistant Superintendent after five years of overseeing issues like budget and classroom reduction, and 28 years of education background overall. He wants to direct as many dollars as possible back to the classroom.
"I feel like my budget background will help us move in the right direction," said Millikin. "I think we need to refocus on what's really important during tough times and that, with prioritizing the best education for our children and making sure they are going to be successful in life after they graduate."
Cesta Newman has almost twenty years of experience as a teacher, prinicipal and professor, as well as a decade of education consulting on the side. She says data analysis is key to maximizing student achievement both in school and after graduation.
"This is a terrific community with great parents and caring people here," said Newman. "We just need to raise the bar, hold people accountable, check out what other schools are doing that are moving faster up the scale than we are and do a better job for our kids."
County residents will be able to choose their man or woman August 26th.
- Crist To Appoint New Superintendent For Columbia County Schools
- Columbia County Assistant Superintendent Resigns
- Alachua County School Superintendent Dan Boyd to Retire Next Month
- Alachua County Kicks Off School Superintendent Search With Public Forum
- Race to the Top Columbia County
- Columbia County School Cuts
- School Superintendent Death Threats
- School Board Seeks Publics Help in Superintendent Search
- School Board Decides Against Adding Interim Superintendent Lyons to List of Final Candidates
- School Board District 2 Race Preview