Deadline Approaches To Save Art And Music Programs
The goal for parents raising money to save arts and music in Alachua County schools is $850,000.
For Sue Johnson, a retired art teacher, saving arts education is emotional. She has spent countless hours and logged many miles responding to parents in Alachua County wanting to help and offering checks. She is among many people who have galvanized to raise $850,000 needed to keep the full arts programs in Alachua County.
So far, they are just shy of $75,000.
"These checks reflect across the board support for these programs," said Johnson.
The loosely organized groups of parents and supporters have been pouring donations into a trust set up with the Gainesville Community Foundation.
"They can be assured that their money is safe and everything is done where in such a way accountability and responsibility is assured," said Gainesville Community Foundation Spokesperson Melanie Shore.
But, it's the pledge of a local philanthropist that raises the prospect of reaching their goal.
"If the community wants this enough to raise that much money, I'm there for them," said Nathan Collier, Gainesville businessman and philanthropist. "The Lord helps those who help themselves."
Collier himself is a product of the local public schools was inspired by the effort, and has promised to match every $100 donated up to a quarter of a million dollars.
As they pay it forward, they hope others will come out and help.
"I believe that I'm a member of a community, and I want to be a part of an active community," said Collier. "We're in a university town if anybody cares about education"
If you would like to help, contact Save Our Schools Fund by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tax Deadline Fast Approaching
- Election Deadline Approaching
- North Central Florida Residents Sign Up For the Affordable Care Act As Deadline Approaches
- Your Health: Cancer Study Deadline Approaching
- City Approved Grant Helps Save The Arts
- UF Digital Arts Program Teaches Students To Be More Like Steve Jobs
- It's Back to the Drawing Board for Cedar Key Art Program
- HAARTS Program Saves Lives
- Looking for Last Minute Heroes That Can Help Save a Program
- Alachua County Jail Program Saving Money and Aiming To Change Lives