Governor Crist In Europe
In May, Eric Monroe joined half a million other Floridians on the state's unemployed list. Eric's been meeting with career councilors to try to find work.
"Everyday I come down here and I try to find sources, network with people to try and find a job," said Monroe.
Florida's unemployment rate grew by 1.5 percent, according to the latest jobless report. The news comes as Governor Crist tours France as part of his 10 day trade mission. Florida Democrats say Crist should spend more time in the state.
"Florida's leading the nation in job loss," said Eric Jotkoff, Democrat. "We have record foreclosures, and where is Charlie Crist? He's sipping lattes on a state financed vacation in Europe."
While some cite the growing unemployment rate as a reason why the Governor should have stayed in Florida, others are using it to defend his trip. Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp says Crist is trying to bring jobs to Florida.
"The Governor couldn't do a better thing than what he's doing right now, which is being very aggressive about expanding our economy," said Kottkamp.
The trip is costing taxpayers a quarter of a million dollars.
- Governor Crist on McCain's List For The Vice Presidential Slot
- Governor Crist Approves Purchase of Trenton-Newberry Rail-Trail Project
- Governor Crist Visits Gainesville
- Governor Crist Weekend Retreat to McCain's Arizona Ranch
- Air Travel Problems in Europe Affect Two Gainesville Residents
- Governor’s Signature Needed to Extend Unemployment
- Snowstorm Kills At Least 500 in Eastern Europe
- UF Student From Ukraine Concerned As Tensions Rise in Eastern Europe
- Charlie Crist Comes to Town
- Crist proposes tuition reform