Latest Developments On An Ocala Woman Abducted From Waffle House
Detectives from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office were first notified of the crime on Sunday, but didn't release the information to the public until Wednesday.
Authorities say because the woman waited to call, they had to try and fill in the time gap before going public with the details. Now, they're checking into the victim's story and trying to confirm it.
It all started early Saturday morning in the parking lot of the Waffle House on West Newberry Road in Gainesville. The 20-year-old victim, who is from Ocala, told authorities three men kidnapped her, drove her to Linton Oaks neighborhood, and then raped her. She claims she blacked out during the crime, and that when she woke up, the men were gone, so she drove home.
"The victim actually went to the Ocala Police Department to report it," said Art Forgey with the Alachua County Sheriff's Office. "They redirected her to us. We learned of it early Sunday morning."
Investigators say the victim told them that she was raped inside an empty apartment in building 818 at Linton Oaks, but all four units in that building have someone living in them. Chauncey Jenkins lives in one of the apartments, and says he thinks she got his building confused with the ones that surrounded it.
"That's one abandoned apartment over there," said Jenkins. "There's one right there, there's one right there, but all these are occupied."
So, detectives are now busy processing evidence and checking into the victim's statement.
Is this crime receiving as much attention as the rape that recently happened in Haile Plantation? Cops say yes.
"We weren't clear on a location," said Forgey. "We have been working with the victim to try and determine those."
One of the suspects is described as a black male who is 5' 8'', with short hair and acne. Detectives say they are searching the neighborhood to see if anyone matches that description.
- Latest Developments In Bostick Investigation
- Latest Developments In The Abuse Allegations Against Employees At Two Group Homes
- Ocala Mom Fights For Abducted Children
- Two Children Briefly Abducted From Levy County Elementary School
- 4 Injured When SUV Rams into Florida Waffle House
- Developments in Suwannee Missing Woman Case
- Latest Developments on Boston Bombings
- Forbes Ranks Ocala 5th in the Nation for Future Job Development
- Police: Ga. Teen Abducted From Home Found Alive
- Woman Dies In House Fire; Authorities Looking For Person Of Interest