Alachua County Commission District 1 Race
Both Mike Byerly and Rick Bryant say they have the experience.
"I was first elected in 2000 served two terms as an Alachua County Commissioner, and I'm seeking a 3rd term," said District 1 Incumbent Mike Byerly.
"I served 2 terms on the Gainesville city commission," said District 1 Challenger Rick Bryant.
But, that's where the similarities stop. Bryant has been particularly critical of Byerly's time in office.
"He's been a 1 issue candidate which is land conservation," said Bryant.
"I've been working as a county commissioner for 8 years, and I have a broad variety of interests," said Byerly. "Environmental protection is an important part of who I am and what I do."
That's not Bryant's only criticism of Byerly.
"For him to propose the gas tax which he was a big proponent and actually wished he could have made it higher," said Bryant. "And, his energy tax that he proposed which was basically to tax water and electricity, I think that showed a disconnect with the working class families of Alachua County."
Byerly says he has no idea what Bryant is talking about in regards to taxing water and electricity. He says the gas tax proceeds will go to repaving roads.
"I don't intend to take any cheap shots at Mr. Bryant," said Byerly. "He had a chance to tee-off first and if that's the way he wants to conduct his campaign, that's his choice."
Regardless, both candidates think they're the man for the job.
"I think I would be a commissioner who had a broad base," said Bryant. "One that doesn't just focus on one issue which is land conservation."
"I've learned a lot in 8 years, and I'd like to take what I've learned and put it to work in the next four," said Byerly.
The primary election will be held on August 26th. The winner will square off against Republican Kevin Riordan and write in candidate Stephen Osborne in the general election on November 4th.
- City Of Alachua Commission Race
- Battle for Marion County Commission District 5
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- Two Buses Stolen From Alachua County School District Lot
- Darnell Wins Alachua County Sheriff Race
- Law Enforcement Unions are NOT unified about the Alachua County Commission Elections
- Emotional Goodbye, Alachua County Commission Chair's Last Meeting
- Verbal Smackdown Inside Alachua County Commission Meeting
- Investigation into Alachua County Commission