Alachua County Teachers Gear Up For New School Year
It was a concert outfitted with a singer and his guitar. Monte Selby was once a middle school principal, and on Wednesday, he had a message for all the teachers in Alachua County.
"You really do make a difference," said Selby.
And for teachers, many parents themselves, the message rang through.
For parents dropping off their children for the first time, one kindergarten teacher offers this observation.
"The kids will come in and they'll cry, but then they see, "Ewwww, he's got fish and snakes and a bearded lizard," said Archer Elementary School Kindergarten Teacher Chris Ott.
Learning to think outside the box, and get students involved in all grade levels was Wednesday's overall message.
"If they're not movin' and groovin' and engaging, we're gonna lose them," said Selby.
While the district is suffering from a multi-million dollar shortfall, teachers also understand the strain parents may be feeling from the weakened economy.
"Do the best that you can, and let us know how we can help," said Duval Elementary School 3rd Grade Teacher Leonard Marshall.
Many schools will be relying on grants to help make up for the lack of funds. Parent contributions will be even more valuable than ever before.
"We really really appreciate whatever parents bring in," said Ott.
So as parents and children prepare to for the new school year, consider the teachers that will soon be part of the family too.
- Alachua County teacher of the year finalists
- Susan Bowles named Alachua County Teacher of the Year
- Levy County Schools Already Preparing for New School Year
- Gainesville High Social Studies Chair Named "Teacher of the Year"
- Teacher of the Year Receives "Unsatisfactory" Evaluation Under New State Law
- Teacher Accused Of Having Sex With 15-Year-Old, Terminated From School
- Alachua County's Teacher of the Year
- In Marion County 160 First Year Teachers Will Lose Their Jobs
- Former Marion County Teacher Sentenced To 80 Years
- Bethany Crawford named Marion County Teacher of the Year