Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Former Lake City Police Chief On Resignation
"He was prepared to see me go," said Burch. "He preferred me to resign, but he was ready to terminate me without cause, so I resigned."
This is despite comments from Lake City City Manager Scott Reynolds last week that the resignation was somewhat of a surprise.
"Somewhat yes I was taken aback, but in some ways no because he's been through a lot since he's been working with the city," said Reynolds.
Burch served a five day suspension in July for forwarding an email without reviewing the content that some officers found offensive. He thought it was an investigative tool. Burch says the problems began when a lieutenant found out there were no plans to fill a promotion that he wanted.
"I thought it was a pattern of harrassment on the part of Lieutenant Davis," said Burch. "It was one more thing that he was doing. His previous complaints were unfounded."
Burch met with Lieutenant Davis and NAACP members about other complaints after the email was sent out, but Davis never brought up the content until days later.
"It is frustrating when somebody does not come to someone with an issue and instead runs, for lack of a better word, pouts," said Burch.
Burch says he regrets leaving good people behind, as well as not being able to see items fully develop like a crime prevention officer, a business crime watch and a volunteer program.
"I never thought my career would come to an end in this fashion," said Burch. "Some would say you can overcome it, but it's a difficult situation."
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- Lake City Police Chief Resigns
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- Lake City Police Chief Suspended
- Lake City Police Chief Reinstated
- Lake City Gets New Police Chief
- Gainesville Police Chief To Resign July 6
- 2nd High Springs Police Chief Resigns
- Gainesville City Manager Looking for Candidates to Fill Police Chief Position
- Gainesville City Commissioners' Reactions to New Police Chief