Parents Upset With Pharmacy Error Agreement
Horst and Luisa Ferrero say the penalty their son received for a hospital's mistake was the maximum, and they are disappointed the pharmacist who made the mistake got the minimum.
Sebastian Ferrero was killed ten months ago after receiving a dose of growth hormone more than ten times what he was prescribed.
On Wednesday, it's a father's kiss on the newest Ferrero. Santiago was born last week, keeping Horst and Luisa from attending the hearing in Orlando. The next hearing is scheduled for October in Gainesville.
"Outrageous for both points of view," said Horst Ferraro. "Not only the penalty, but the disregard for the request for the postponement."
The Ferrero's said they tried contacting the Department of Health five times, requesting to speak with investigators. Last month, they found out the pharmacist, Edna Irizarry, was looking at a penalty of a $1000 fine, plus eight hours of class time.
"We're very disappointed because they are doing the minimum penalty of 1000 dollars although the damage inflicted to the patient, my son, a 3 year old happy and healthy was the worst possible, death," said Horst Ferraro.
Despite newborn Santiago, the Ferreros are asking Governor Crist to intervene and give Irizarry a stiffer penalty.
"Nothing is ever going to repair the loss of Sebastian," said Horst. "We are trying to focus on the positive through the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation, but his loss does not have a remedy for us as parents."
The Sebastian Ferrero Foundation is planning a special fundraiser called Noche De Gala November 20th. The Ferrero's are matching all sponsor contributions. For more information, log onto the foundation's website at Sebastian_Ferrero.org.
- Parents Upset About State Cuts To Local School Budgets
- Marion County parents upset after video goes viral
- West Port high parents are upset after threats were made to the school
- Fla. Officials Fuming Over Glaring Errors In Tourism Brochure
- Woman Files Lawsuit Against Pharmacy Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Lake City Pharmacy Thief
- Prescription Pill Theft at CVS Pharmacy
- Law regulates drug compounding pharmacies
- Ferrero Family Speaks to Board of Pharmacy
- Ocala Pharmacy On Polo Ponies Deaths