Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
School Board District 4 Race
"41 years I spent in the classroom." said Williams.
"I have proven distinguished leadership on both the local, state, and national levels," said Sharpe.
There is no lack of experience among the two candidates. Both candidates addressed voters at a candidates forum in the Villages onÂ Tuesday.Â
Williams says her business on the board isn't done.
"My mission is to improve the graduation rates as well as the drop out rate," said Williams.
Sharpe, who once served twelve years on theÂ Alachua County School Board says her initiatives also include the classroom.
"Orientation program, a training program for new teachers. . . it teaches them classroom management," said Sharpe.
Both took questions from the audience, and the topic of greatest concern was funding for schools, and what effect Amendment Five will have if voters pass it. Sharpe says she will use her lobbying skills on state legislators.
"Not let the legislators off the hook because it is their paramount duty to fund education," said Sharpe.
Williams made the trip to Tallahassee this year to plead with the governor.
"We have already been hit very hard with our budget from the state," said Williams.
Each candidate is uniquely qualified, but each says she has something unique to bring.
"As the President on the Florida School Board Association, I have the expereince," said Sharpe.
"I'm a hands on person," said Williams. "If I can do it, I'm going to find a solution for that problem."
- School Board District 2 Race Preview
- Wide Open Race For District 10 Seat
- District 6 Race
- Alachua County Commission District 1 Race
- School Board Policy Changes Bring Conflict Among Board Members
- Alachua County School Board Debates Implementing School Uniforms
- School Board Approves School Uniforms
- School Board Candidates Discuss Charter Schools
- New Ocala School Board Member Proposes Corporal Punishment in Schools
- Alachua County School Board Tentative Budget