BUS FARE INCREASE
It is going to cost more to ride the bus in at least one town.
Gainesville's RTS is enforcing fare increases and service reductions because of its 1.5 million dollar deficit. An RTS spokesperson said that they had no other option because of increasing operating cost and soaring prices in diesel fuel since February 2007.
"Overwhelmingly, people wish we didn't have to do so, although many of them were very understanding that with high increase in fuel prices it was necessary for us to implement these changes to offset our budget deficit," said Theresa Harrison, RTS Marketing Specialist.
RTS is raising the prices for the first time in twelve years. With the weakened economy, and rising gas prices, a simple bus ride can get too expensive for some commuters. To hear their stories please see video:
- RTS Fares Increase
- Keeping it "Fare"
- "Fair Fare" for Alachua County Fairgrounds
- FanFare and Fireworks 2012
- New Fare Boxes In RTS Buses
- Private School Bus Company Meets with Bus Drivers
- Child charged in bus fight rides same bus again
- 'Bus Roadeo' Tests Bus Drivers' Maneuvering Skills
- Florida Power and Light Co. Rates Increase
- GPD Increases Patrol