Death toll stands at 51 in Moore, OK. Medical examiner told to expect at least 40 more bodies...20 of them children.
Crist To Appoint New Superintendent For Columbia County Schools
Columbia County's newly-elected superintendent may be making his move to office sooner than expected.
Mike Millikin wasn't supposed to move into office until mid-November, but after Superintendent Sam Markham turned in his resignation and retired Friday, Millikin may be appointed to finish his term, scheduled to end Nov. 17. "I was a little surprised, obviously it has been several weeks since the election and I guessed he was going to remain in office. I didn't know of any reason to think otherwise," Millikin said.
But some Columbia County school officials said they think Markham's resignation was best for the district, because of the difficult financial times ahead. They also said Millikin has more than seven years of experience as an assitant superintendent.
Millikin hopes to turn his application into Governor Charlie Crist by the end of next week. He also has to pass a background check before he can be considered for the appointment.
- Columbia County Schools Superintendent Race
- Columbia County Assistant Superintendent Resigns
- Appoint A Superintendent?
- New Principals Appointed at Local Elementary and Middle Schools
- New Alachua County Commissioner Appointed
- School Superintendent Death Threats
- Gov. Scott Appoints 5 New Members To State Board Over Universities
- School Board Appointment
- Levy County Schools Already Preparing for New School Year
- One Marion County School May Get A New Look