Divorced parents battle over son's life
One parent wants to wait and see if he gets better.
The other wants to let him go.
It's a battle over a 24-year-old man's life that started with a mysterious ATV accident two weeks ago.
Justin Smith is being treated at Shands Hospital at the University of Florida. His mother says he is half brain dead but that his heart still beats on its own.
Smith's father did not return several phone calls to his office and cell phone Wednesday. He lives in Texas.
Right now, neither parent has legal authority to make decisions for Smith.
Since they disagree, one would have to be appointed by a judge and receive guardianship status, according to Florida statutes.
- Aguilar Family Believes Son's Remains Have Been Found
- Bronson Man Arrested for Grand Theft, Stole Son's Car
- Father Honors Son's Memory By Helping Kids Swim
- Father Speaks Out About Son's Death
- Brantley Family to Weigh Options for Son's Future as a Gator
- Developer, city officials battle over Heritage Oaks
- Gainesville Police Officers Win Another Battle In Fight Over Holiday Pay
- The Alachua County Budget Battle is Over...
- Pastor's Son Offers Little Insight into Tomorrow's Plan
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed