Red Cross Stays Busy With Storm Aid
As Hurricane Gustav threatened the Gulf Coast Sunday, the American Red Cross acted quickly to organize shelters and release critical supplies in the Florida Panhandle for evacuees from the Gulf states.Â With one storm threatening and another on the horizon, Floridaâ€™s many volunteer organizations and state agencies continue to support those recovering from Tropical Storm Fay that swept the Florida Peninsula with torrential rains last week.
â€œAs we recover from Tropical Storm Fay, face Hurricane Gustav and prepare for Tropical Storm Hanna, we rely on the American Red Cross and our other volunteer and state agencies as key response partners,â€ said Florida Emergency Management Director Craig Fugate.
In the past 24 hours, the American Red Cross distributed more than 10,000 meals and snacks to citizens in need.Â Our volunteer and state agencies stand ready to assist others. Approximately 13 shelters are currently open along Floridaâ€™s Interstate 10 corridor.Â Lee County currently has one shelter still open for survivors displaced as a result of Tropical Storm Fay.
Â â€œIf you give now, everyone benefits,â€ said Volunteer Florida CEO Wendy Spencer.Â â€œDonating cash and non-perishable food items now give disaster relief agencies the ability to respond to this and future disasters quickly, which is Governor Cristâ€™s priority.â€
After two storm-free years, community-based organizations throughout the state are experiencing lower-than-normal levels of financial and commodities contributions.Â Volunteer Floridaâ€™s website, www.VolunteerFlorida.org, provides a list of disaster relief organizations that need your financial support now.
Through partnerships with local, state and national volunteer organizations, Floridians benefit from a rapid response to and dedicated recovery from disasters.
For additional information on Hurricane Gustav, Tropical Storm Hanna and the State Emergency Response Team, visit the Florida Division of Emergency Management at: www.FloridaDisaster.org.
- Red Cross Opens Shelters for Storm Victims
- Red Cross Offers Tips on How to Stay Warm During Frigid Temperatures
- Red Cross Volunteers Still Reaching Out to Residents
- American Red Cross Seeking Donations For Victims of Hurricane Sandy
- The Red Cross Helping Victims of Typhoon Haiyan
- Red Cross Relief in Fort White
- North Central Florida American Red Cross Volunteers Prep to Travel to Oklahoma
- Hurricane App By The Red Cross
- Former American Red Cross Employee Accused of Fraud
- Accused Red Cross Fraudster Turns Herself In