UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN MARION COUNTY
The unemployment rate is at a thirteen year high for Florida, and one area government is finding ways to fight back.
The unemployment rate in Marion County is eight and a half percent, a number the EDC calls the highest since the early 90's.
Community leaders are brainstorming ways to help stimulate the economy including speeding up permitting and impact fee relief for businesses and securing state and federal money for employee training.
The One Stop Workforce Connection in Ocala recently secured a two hundred thousand dollar grant after almost four hundred and fifty employees at emergency one and Merillat were laid off but they say they need more.
The Vice President for One Stop Work Force Connection Susan Roberts says,
"We're applying for a million dollar national emergency grant with the federal government and that would be to help re-tool."
While the request for the million dollar federal grant is still in the application process Susan Roberts says the workforce connection will ask for more should more layoffs occur.
- Unemployment Rate Grows in Florida
- Slight Rise in Florida's Unemployment Rates
- December Unemployment Rates
- Unemployment Rates Down
- State Unemployment Rate Falls to Lowest Level Since Recession
- Florida Unemployment Rate Drops to 9 Percent
- County Millage Rates Discussed at Commission Meeting
- Higher Millage Rates in Alachua County?
- Alachua County Millage Rate Increase
- Alachua County has the Fourth Highest STD Rates in the State