Ferrero Family Speaks to Board of Pharmacy
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
A pharmacist was given a one thousand dollar fine at a meeting two months ago. The Ferreros couldn't attend the meeting in August, but they do not want people to forget their story.
The family is still upset with the punishment of the pharmacist, Edna Irizarry, and that the ruling was not delayed so they could be present. But Tuesday afternoon was a chance to make that right.
Their presentation wasn't just words, but pictures designed to make the Florida Board of Pharmacy aware their son was more than a case number. The board listened for almost 15 minutes while both parents shared their heart.
"Heartbreaking to know that the death of our son was worth only 1000 dollars," Sebastian's father Horst Ferrero told the Board of Pharmacy.
The presentation comes just four days after the one year anniversary of Sebastian's death. But their son and their cause does not seem to have dimmed with time.
"It's every day, just for us," says Luisa Ferrero. "That it was a year ago. It's still every day for us that we think and remember him, so for us it was just another day."
Afterward, the chairman of the Pharmacy Board expressed the board's condolences for Sebastian's loss, and a willingness to work with the family to build a children's hospital in Gainesville. But the Board did not reconsider the punishment for Edna Irizarry, the pharmacist who made the mistake.
"This is a pharmacist that was practicing for 28 years with no prior discipline and that was what we felt was in line with normal misfill cases," says Department of Health Spokeswoman Eulinda Jackson.
For more information, you can check out the foundation website at www.sebastianferrero.org.
- Limbaugh Family Unites After School Board Controversy
- Family Speaks About Marine's Death
- Friends and Family of 1st Grader Killed on I-75 Speak Out
- C.B. Daniel's Family Speaks
- Family of 20 Year Old Sentenced to Death Speaks Out
- Family Speaks Out Against Taser Use
- Deadly Crash Victims' Family Speaks Out
- Family Speaks of Loss on Bullying Awareness Day
- Kamrie Mitchell is Missing: Her Family Speaks about the Search
- Beaten Elderly Man's Family Speaks About His Recovery