Gender Gap in Schools
Listing all the differences between boys and girls could be a never-ending task... but when it comes to education they carry a greater significance.
New research finds boys lagging behind girls in school.
First grade teacher Carmen Krause has been an educator for over a decade... during that time she's learned an important lesson:
"I've definitely found out with teaching that boys and girls are very different and they're learning styles are different."
These differing styles appear in various ways throughout the school day.
In physical mannerisms:
"My girls can, most of them can just sit still and pay attention and my boys just need to move around."
Or when its time to work on homework assignments:
"The boys like to use timers to just see how many words they can read. Where the girls are just happy to go home and read."
A new book explains that the ways parents and teachers address boys Learning habits greatly affects them down the road. Peg Tyre's The Trouble with Boys focuses on data showing boys falling behind girls at all educational levels. for example five times more boys than girls are expelled from pre-school, and two point five million more girls attend college.
University Of Florida Professor Mary Ann Clark-- who studied these trends in Alachua County-- says that they are also prevalent here but it's a problem that can be solved.
Back in the classroom Krause says she tries to let her boys do what works best for them.
"As long as they're getting their work done and staying on task I allow it."
Professor Clark says her study found that boys were placed in special ed programs twice as often as girls in Alachua County.
- Gender Gap in Diagnosis and Outcome of Heart Attacks
- "Thigh Gap:" A Dangerous New Trend
- UF Moves Forward With Reitz Union Renovation Despite Funding Gap
- Citizens Hope to Challenge Gender Identity Ordinance
- Gender Identity Charter Amendment
- Same Gender Classes
- Gainesville City Commissioners Set to Vote On Gender Identity Ordinance
- Cache of Evidence in Trayvon Shooting, Still Huge Gaps
- Gender-Based Abortion
- Levy County Schools Already Preparing for New School Year