HAWTHORNE HOG FEST
Last year the act of pig chasing was outlawed in Alachua County. Some commissioners and protestors at Saturday's chase say they feel it's animal cruelty.
Recently the city of Hawthorne decided to legalize it. Animal activists of Alachua County call that decision a backward step.
At least 10 protestors stood outside the event's entrance to protest that running around after a pig is animal cruelty and should be illegal.
"The pigs are running scared they often suffer broken legs, serious trauma, they are running from kids because they are scared not because they are enjoying it," said Justin Jones, a protestor.
For one trainer however, a pig chase is perfectly safe. He claims that it is easier for a person to get hurt by the pig and not the other way around.
"There will be more kids probably getting hurt then our little pigs," said Ed Hughes, Trainer of "Rodeo Arena."
For more on this story, please see video:
- Wild Hog Issue
- Confusion over Feral Hogs Solution
- Students from Santa Fe High School Show Their Best Hogs and Heifers
- Post "Fest" Melee caught on video
- Museum Hosts Butterfly Fest
- All American Liberty Fest Honors Veterans Young and Old
- Hemp Fest in Gainesville
- 2nd Annual All American Liberty Fest
- Community Fest-3/17/2012
- Labor Daze Fest... Not Just For The Working