Lowering Utility Bills
Power customers in Ocala have noticed a particularly hefty increase this month.
A lot of folks are paying higher utility bills. people who run the utilities say its because they are being charged higher fuel prices.
Ocala Electric Utility is city owned and operated... and gets it's power from the Florida Municipal Power Agency.
City Manager Ricky Horst says the fear of skyrocketing gas prices after Hurricane Ike... caused F-M-P-A to assess customers at a higher rate than was necessary, which caused a huge spike in the cost of bulk power.
Ocala City Council held a workshop to discuss the sky rocketing utility rates as well as what needs to be done with Ocala Electric Utility.
City Manager Ricky Horst laid out a plan that would eventually save the city 6 million dollars by increasing efficiency and using money from the general fund...but citizens and business owners say they need help *now*.
"It's bad to see people that you've had working for you for six or seven years... And we've had to cut back some..and it's to my regret...but you can only do what you can do...."
On Tuesday October 21, the Council will meet again to discuss a way to distribute rebates to Ocala Electric Utilities customers.
During today's workshop....the City Manager recommended forming a citizen committee that would oversee the utility...and discuss whether it's time for change in Ocala.
- Lower Your Fire Risk And Heating Bill
- Utility Bills Rising
- Ocala Warns Residents of Utility Bill Scam
- GRU Offers Assistance For Winter Utility Bills
- Lower Interest Proposed For Florida Utility Deposits
- Gas Prices Lower
- NTSB: DUI Limit Should Be Lowered to 0.05% Blood-Alcohol Level
- Ocala Utility Workers Turning on the Lights Up North
- Sheriff's Office Creates New Program To Lower Agricultural Crime
- Alachua County Could See Lower Taxes