A Florida high school student died from a powerful strain of staph infection, known commonly as MRSA. It is a common bacteria, but for one athlete the severity of the infection was just too rare and unusual.
It can start with a simple skin infection, a spider bite, or even a cut. But in a small number of cases a simple rash can become deadly.
Alonzo Smith, an eighteen-year-old high school football player died from MRSA or methicillin resistant staph aureus. University of Florida College of Medicine Dr. Lennox Archibald says that MRSA cases are not uncommon among athletes.
For more on this story please see video:
- Stopping The Spread Of M-R-S-A
- Woman Files Lawsuit Against Pharmacy Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Death Toll Rises to Two in Marion County from Meningitis Outbreak
- Three Marion County Facilities Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Equine Herpes Virus Outbreak
- Mold Outbreak Closes Starke Elementary
- East Marion Elementary School Undergoes Deep Cleaning After Infection Outbreak
- Virus Outbreak At Marion County School
- East Marion Elementary Continues To Battle Illness Outbreak
- Outbreak at Marion County School is Norovirus