The word mid-wife means "with woman" in old English. There are several of these nurse-midwives practicing in Gainesville delivering babies at North Florida and Shands AGH.
Choosing the right doctor during pregnancy can be one of the biggest decisions a family has to undertake.
In the U.S. women's choices were once limited to obstetricians, but recently nurse-midwives have become a more popular alternative.
"I would say every birth is out of the ordinary every birth is extraordinary, " said Jane Houston, a midwife from Scotland who practices in Gainesville. She also said that more than 70 percent of births are assisted by midwives in Europe. And she says its catching here. For more on this story please see video:
- Nursing Home Fraud
- Docs, Nurses Push Lawmakers for Medicaid Expansion
- New Bill Could Give Nurse Practitioners More Independence in Florida
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- No bedside emergency buttons, few nurses on locked VA psych ward
- Two Nursing Home Executives Charged With Medicaid Fraud
- Nurses Voice Frustration Over Hospital's Troubles
- Santa Fe Nursing Program Provides New Course for Higher Degree
- Should The Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victims Be Quarantined?
- School Nurse of the Year Named