Incumbent County Commissioner Mike Byerly and Challenger Kevin Riordan debated the merits of a one half cent sales tax to improve Alachua County's land conservation priorities and Gainesville's land conservation efforts with parks, recreational facilities, and a senior center.
For Alachua County Commissioner Mike Byerly who is running for re-election to the Alachua County Commission District 1 Seat, this tax proposal could not be at a more appropriate time. Challenging a longtime incumbent, Kevin Riordan had little to lose in opposing the proposal.
The one-half cent sales tax will raise about twenty million dollars a year to maintain parks and recreational facilities. For more on this story please see video:
- Internet Sales Tax Takes Step Forward
- Hurricane Season Sales Tax Holiday: What You Should Know
- No Hurricane Sales Tax Holiday
- Sales Tax Holiday's Last Day
- Alachua County Half Cent Sales Tax Expires
- Online Sales Tax?
- Alachua County Considers 1 Cent Sales Tax For Roads
- County Commissioners Discuss Half Cent Sales Tax Increase
- Sales Tax Holiday Bill Heads to House Floor
- Online Sales Tax Coming to Texas