Stealing from the Rich
Although the sign on the window at American pawn in Ocala says open...owner Mike Porter says the invitation is not extended to everyone.
"Now that we have to get a picture ID ...With a signature...We also have to get the pledger's thumb print..it really does keep all the bad guys out of the pawn shop"
And even though he says because of a 30 day holding policy...it's rare that he gets stuck with stolen items...today was an exception.
"The victims were able to identify the jewelry here at the pawn shop."
So far police say there is no connection between the seller of thousands of dollars of stolen jewelry... and those who staked out this quiet southeast Ocala neighborhood looking for a target.
Scroble says that's a problem...police say neighbors even spotted a strange car driving up and down the street.
One neighbor says they were even bold enough...to say hello while dragging suitcases full of stolen belongings.
"there was jewelry electronics computers games...to the best of my knowledge there were some weapons taken as well."
As of now...much of that stuff is still missing
"So pay attention to those things...anyone anything that makes you uneasy or unsure."
And police say it's better to call them then to have to be left wondering.
Police also want to remind citizens to lock up homes and cars... even if you feel safe in your neighborhood.
- "Rich Get Richer, Poor Get Poorer" in Gainesville
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- Man Steals iPhone, Demands Ransom from Owner
- Bank Teller Accused of Helping Steal Money From Bank Customer
- Stealing From The State
- Employee Steals Over $1,000 from Local Business
- Police: Woman Steals $900 Of Clothing From Gainesville Store
- Deputies: Man Accused Of Stealing Nearly $50,000 From His Workplace
- Putnam Co. Beekeeper Accused of Stealing Bees, Honey From Competitors
- Mom Steals From Child's School